OPCA program enables us to adapt the best ways to address key issues in the value chain of fruit-growing based on the experience of West Europe (France etc.)
This program aims to strengthen ADAD as a professional agriculture organization, to improve the services to its members and beyond, create economic independence and increase ADAD influence in representing and protecting the interests of farmers. OPCA has two main objectives:
- Support for the development of functions and services included in the action plan of ADAD for the period 2015-2018;
– Contribute to the development of financial means in order to promote the value chain in fruit-growing sector and beyond.
These objectives will be achieved through the implementation of a set of action plans and creation of a partnership with public actors and different programs that have the same objectives “agriculture and rural development”.
The project “Support to Agriculture and Rural Economic Development in Disadvantaged Mountainous Areas” for initiatives under the pillar of capacity building in the value chain of Fruits & Nuts; ADAD Malore is implementing the project with 8 groups in the region of Korça, 3 in the region of Dibra and 3 in the region of Kukës. This project aims to improve the performance of economic development in the value chain of Fruits & Nuts through training of farmers and extension specialist; increase the production of fruits and nuts orchards through the improvement of technology and marketing strategies. Project time span in 2 years starting from May 2016 to December 2017.
This project aims to improve the technologies of around 350 apple producers through training, counseling and demonstration in order to bring improvements to the quality of production and increase productivity. In the action plan are included trainings, demonstrations, exchanges, participation in fairs and technical assistance, accompanying activities and groups. Farmers will receive the best expertise in the country for the improvement of existing technologies, and the application of new techniques in the whole cycle of production and marketing of fruit.
Apart from increasing the technical skills associated with successful implementation of the potential investments of the members of the groups, the project will consolidate and organize groups for the transfer of knowledge and skills in groups, that is a better approach than building individual capacities or even increase the capacity of ad-hoc groups of small farmers.
The strategy of this project includes the majority of stakeholders, giving an important role to local and national actors; ATTC Korca, University of Korca, Faculty of Agriculture, Agricultural University of Tirana (AUT), namely the Department of Horticulture and local extension service will take the leading role in organizing training on fruit production technology and advise the producers. ADAD Malore will offer the best local and foreign expertise for specialized and analytical topics and offer its expertise to provide the most modern technologies adapted to local producers. They can also carry out research, to help farmers and all stakeholders in solving technology problems.
ESFIM – EMPOWERING SMALLHOLDER FARMERS IN MARKET – LOCAL PRODUCTS IN THE REGION OF KUKËS
Main Objective: This project aims to assess the market potentials for particular agriculture products in the mountainous region of Kukes, in order to strength the position of smallholders to market.
- Objective 1: To collaboratively investigate the potentials of accessing agricultural markets for particular products through consumer preference assessment, explore production constraints, visit successful farming enterprises for comparison and experience the organization of a fair to generate new market opportunities.
- Objective 2: Create and enable a platform of discussion between producers’ organizations, public authorities, and other relevant value chain actors in order to address market access problems.
- Evaluation of production capacities (producers, type of farms and volumes of production, production and postharvest techniques).
- Evaluation of the current market (current sales, prices, consumers/costumers, and distance to market) and trade issues to be improved.
- Assess the regional supply and main competing regions of Albania on regards to main local products identified.
- Assessment of consumer preferences related to at least two particular products selected after carrying an inventory of main particular products related to the Kukes territory.
- Comparison through a successful farming enterprise to identify POs areas to be strengthened (AgroPuka).
- Identification of opportunities to promote the products e.g. market opportunities through fair organisation activities.
Collaborative development of strategic intervention recommendations from local stakeholders to support farmers and their organization based on the obtained results to shape rural development policies with focus on enhancing market opportunities.